A Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a specialized program which allows students to experience a range of customized, career-focused learning opportunities while working towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). The Ministry of Education has developed SHSM programs for many of the industry and business sectors in the province and has authorized the York Region District School Board to offer SHSM programs in ten of these sectors.
Students now have the opportunity to customize their high school experience, explore new ways of learning and ‘reach ahead’ to their post-secondary destination of choice (apprenticeship, college, university or the workplace). (YRDSB, 2012)
P.E. Trudeau H.S. is proud to offer a SHSM program in Business.
What will students in a business major study?
- A bundle of nine Grade 11 and Grade 12 credits in which students earn:
- Four business major credits
- One English credit and two math credits tailored to include units focused on business
- Two cooperative education credits to gain workplace experience that enables students to refine, extend and practice sector-specific knowledge and skills
- Experiential learning, career exploration and reach ahead activities within the sector
- Certifications and training programs/courses in, first aid, CPR hazardous materials and customer service
- Essential Skills and work habits required in the sector (MOE, 2012)
For more information, please contact Colleen McKague (905.887.2216 ex. 371)